Recommended reading for the martial arts. This is my personal library list. I practice Okinawan Te or "Ryukyu Ti." My system is derived from two others, one being the main influence of Shorin-ryu and the second Goju-ryu. The branch under Shorin-ryu is Isshin-ryu as developed by Shimabuku Tatsuo Sensei.

I wanted to create a library reference blog where I can provide a listing of the books I have in my library, present and past (past in that some have been lost in transit over the years). I will provide a graphic, if available, a short description, if available, and the bibliography. When possible a link to Amazon will be provided.

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..." - Francis Bacon


Reader's of this Blog

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Hard-Won Wisdom from the School of Hard Knocks

Bibliography:
Burrese, Alain., “Hard-Won Wisdom from the School of Hard Knocks.” TGW Books. October 2013. 

Review: Found this book through a share on Marc MacYoung’s Facebook wall and very glad I did cause it is “Good.” I can say this from reading just the first part, the Introduction. I can get a good feel for a book from the introduction and to date have not found any book to fall down or apart after reading the intro. This book falls into that good category with a solid expectation of reaching the “Must Have” level very soon. I look forward to a follow up review of this fine publication once I finish it - soon. 

As I get caught up in this one the first thought that occurs to me is one I would use for a best seller, "A reap page turner!" Oh, wait a minute, this is a best seller or rather a best in library. If it were not for dry eyes and fatigue after long days it would be finished already but it is nice to know that I have a great book to study when I rest and wake for a new day. This is one of those books.

I would go so far as to add it to my self-defense prerequisite books list or bibliography, it is that well done. Give me a few more days and I will continue to write about my views, review if you will, of this most excellent addition to my martial library. Hell, a fine addition to my overall library!

Addendum: Mr. Burrese doesn't fool around, he hits the main and critical points or principles then moves on quickly. Every chapter is full, complete and comprehensive without resorting to wordy explanations that confuse. He sticks hard to those aspects that make a difference for your self-defense. It is the fundamentals of knowledge that supports and connects to other mainline professional authors who also teach about self-defense.

I wrote an article for my blog expressing how important it is to get perspectives and perceptions of such professionals from a diverse professions view and perceptions, i.e., a street thug, a corrections officer with lots of hard core violence experience and a military professional facing violence from both spectrums, i.e., the military and civil social violence source. Mr. Burrese fits in there with the top professionals from a background that is indisputable, professional and experienced.

Hey, look at Mr. Burrese's book as a plan on how to create a good, solid and applicable self-defense lesson plan. No one goes into anything worth while without a plan so use his and other books I mention to create a solid self-defense lesson plan. If you only taught what he suggests in your self-defense course you would be giving your students the most excellent teachings of self-defense that exceeds most anything you can get through many martial arts self-defense programs.

This is an outstanding book everyone who trains for self-defense MUST HAVE in their SD libraries, get yours today and you will be very pleased. Thanks Mr. Burrese, much appreciated!

One particular chapter of his book that really stands out to other such efforts is the chapter on health, fitness and its importance in applying self-defense. He discusses the importance of strength, speed, agility, durability, dynamic balance and other aspects toward surviving in an attack. You hear about other programs that recommend but Mr. Burrese goes further to recommend methods that are important to the practice of martial arts especially toward self-defense, fighting and combatives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment