Recommended reading for the martial arts. This is my personal library list. I practice Okinawan Te or "Ryukyu Ti." My system is derived from two others, one being the main influence of Shorin-ryu and the second Goju-ryu. The branch under Shorin-ryu is Isshin-ryu as developed by Shimabuku Tatsuo Sensei.

I wanted to create a library reference blog where I can provide a listing of the books I have in my library, present and past (past in that some have been lost in transit over the years). I will provide a graphic, if available, a short description, if available, and the bibliography. When possible a link to Amazon will be provided.

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..." - Francis Bacon


Reader's of this Blog

Monday, December 19, 2011

Facing Violence

Bibliography:
Miller, Rory Sgt. "Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected." YMAA Publishing. 2011.

Review: The mind can only tell the body to act if it has some sort of reference in its storage. If there is nothing to refer to then it drops down into survival instinct mode which today is inadequate. Sgt Miller will in all probability tell you that you need to know what violence is before you can train to combat violence. I believe this is true and this, along with his other book, is required for all fledgling karate-ka.

Sgt. Miller succently and concisely writes about all the varous aspects of violence and how to train for it. If you don't know about turn signals and the switch located on the steering wheel column how can you signal your intent to turn? If you don' know what your seeing or hearing or feeling how can you tell if it requires some strong response like a strike vs. just a hand shake?

This is a must have book for your library. It has some difficult to "digest" information you may scoff at or you may say, "this can never happen to me," but listen up folks because it can.

No comments:

Post a Comment