Recommended reading for the martial arts. This is my personal library list. I practice Okinawan Te or "Ryukyu Ti." My system is derived from two others, one being the main influence of Shorin-ryu and the second Goju-ryu. The branch under Shorin-ryu is Isshin-ryu as developed by Shimabuku Tatsuo Sensei.

I wanted to create a library reference blog where I can provide a listing of the books I have in my library, present and past (past in that some have been lost in transit over the years). I will provide a graphic, if available, a short description, if available, and the bibliography. When possible a link to Amazon will be provided.

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..." - Francis Bacon


Reader's of this Blog

Thursday, February 16, 2012

People Skills

Bibliography:
Bolton, Robert, Ph.D. "People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others, and Resolve Conflicts." Simon & Schuster. New York. 1979, 1986.

Review: I am only about 4/5th the way through this book on the first go-round but felt strongly it required a review and listing on this library if only to get it to you quicker as it is "critical" in learning how to defend yourself in conflict/hostilities.

Yes, it does do wonders for one's people skills as an enhancement on your already superb skills. I have found things here I had never heard before or realized would promote a better person that is me and would answer self-imposed questions as to why folks "react to me" in the way they do and this is on top of my discoveries from Dr. Elgin's Verbal Self-Defense series.

This book covers a variety of hostile situations or themes along with the hostilities that result from a lack of people skills, etc.

I cannot say enough of how much this book has done for me personally and I have a long way to go. If you truly wish to "avoid conflicts and hostilities that lead to physical encounters" then read this book - several times.

It is worth the time and practice to achieve what this book says it can. It will not happen quickly. It is the kind of data and practice like karate that needs lots of it and it is a continuous practice that will make the changes for the improvement of already very good skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment