Recommended reading for the martial arts. This is my personal library list. I practice Okinawan Te or "Ryukyu Ti." My system is derived from two others, one being the main influence of Shorin-ryu and the second Goju-ryu. The branch under Shorin-ryu is Isshin-ryu as developed by Shimabuku Tatsuo Sensei.

I wanted to create a library reference blog where I can provide a listing of the books I have in my library, present and past (past in that some have been lost in transit over the years). I will provide a graphic, if available, a short description, if available, and the bibliography. When possible a link to Amazon will be provided.

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..." - Francis Bacon


Reader's of this Blog

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Stoic Warriors

Bibliography:
Sherman, Nancy. "Stoic Warriors: the Ancient Philosophy behind the Military Mind." Oxford University Press. New York. 2005.

Review: Why I decided to read about this subject started when someone very close asked why I wasn't expressing emotions, i.e. this person couldn't actually read how I felt through my face and body language, etc. I realized that the Marine Stoic Facade was a key so sought out something that would provide the reasons of "why stoicism."

This book provides the context, past and present, of the military cultures and beliefs that promote the stoic discipline necessary for military which I also feel transcends just the military and reaches out to the male gender, all of the males.

It denotes the culture that encompasses traits like "honor," "discipline," and "control of emotions with an emphasis on anger. If you can see this is what I would perceive that martial artists who have to protect and defend in civil environment, as professionals, would benefit from knowing and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment