Recommended reading for the martial arts. This is my personal library list. I practice Okinawan Te or "Ryukyu Ti." My system is derived from two others, one being the main influence of Shorin-ryu and the second Goju-ryu. The branch under Shorin-ryu is Isshin-ryu as developed by Shimabuku Tatsuo Sensei.

I wanted to create a library reference blog where I can provide a listing of the books I have in my library, present and past (past in that some have been lost in transit over the years). I will provide a graphic, if available, a short description, if available, and the bibliography. When possible a link to Amazon will be provided.

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..." - Francis Bacon


Reader's of this Blog

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Principles-Based Instruction for Self-Defense

Miller, Rory. “Principles-Based Instruction for Self-Defense (and maybe life).” Amazon Digital Services LLC August 2017

Review: In the last decade I have come to rely on only a few authors when it comes to self-defense be it through martial arts or some other model. Of those authors Rory Miller is held in my mind with high regard not only as to his expertise but especially his understanding. 

Of these few authors what I appreciate most is how well they write, articulate in writing, and how well they relay the same materials but in a different way that is unique and informative and understandable while reinforcing what was previously studied while expanding on what you already know. 

This book about teaching whether for self-defense or any other discipline the information is relevant, important and critical to understanding how that is accomplished. In recent postings people ask questions like how do I teach this or how do I attract students or how to I retain the one’s I have and so on. Well, Mr. Miller has all this covered especially from one of his comrades who contributed a chapter on the business of self-defense whether from a martial arts perspective or some other model. 

I have just finished the first run through of this new book. I am already going for the second round of study and reading and I expect to do a third and fourth round much like when I read Marc MacYoung’s book on self-defense. I am once again flabbergasted with his work. Every time I feel like I might have a solid grip on the subjects and disciplines he, and the other authors, publish another one of their works and I am gripped with the sudden butterflies and mental thought that I am merely a child trying to learn and have a long way to go - a very long way. 

If I could transport this book back in time to when I first entered a dojo to teach self-defense this would be the first one I would want to use as a guide in seeking out and obtaining the proper credentials to teach, instruct and mentor people in karate and defensive-protection (self-defense). Now, I have had training and experience as an instructor, I was pretty good at it - BUT - I still lacked a lot of what it takes to professionally and responsibly and properly teach such a responsible discipline of martial defense protection discipline. 


No comments:

Post a Comment